Man rushes to save neighbors as his southeast Houston apartment burns


It happened just before noon at the Wolf Creek Apartments in the 16100 Space Center Boulevard near Falcon Pass Drive near Clear Lake.

According to the Houston Fire Department, the blaze started in the attic of one of the units in building 13. Investigators said the fire was possibly electrical in nature, but they are examining all potential causes.

Damage was concentrated to two upstairs units and the two units below them. Residents had little time to escape.

The tenant living in the unit where the fire started was outside at the time. When he saw his apartment in flames, he ran to save as many of his neighbors as he could. He knocked on doors, yelling at people to alert them about the fire and tell them to get out.

A man who lives near the fire said he was asleep when the man knocked on his door. His unit was one of three that sustained smoke and water damage. The initial apartment was the only one with flame damage.

"We were just waking up, getting out of bed whenever we wake up to a bunch of banging on the door," the neighbor said. "We went downstairs to answer it, and there's everybody, 'Get out of the house there's a fire.' I said, 'OK. Time to go.' Grabbed our animals and we're gone."

Officials said everyone got out fine, and there were no reported injuries.

We've seen residents of building 13 go in and out, trying to salvage what they can. But smoke, water and fire destroyed many belongings. The man who lives in the initial apartment did not want to go on camera, but he said he lost everything in the blaze.

Find Foti on Facebook at ReporterFotiKallergis or on Twitter at @FotiKallergis

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

Copyright © 2023 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.