Make sure you have the right permits for home repairs

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- If you are rebuilding after the flood, there are certain things you will need a permit for.

You can do drywall work and painting, but you are required to get a permit from the city of Houston for other repairs.

EMBED More News Videos

Where you can get permits for home repairs

If you hire a general contractor or you subcontract the work out, be sure they have a license and proper work permits.

It's recommended to hire a licensed professional for electrical, HVAC and plumbing repairs.

You will also need a permit to repair or take down any main doors of your home. You don't need a permit to install interior doors.

Follow Patricia Lopez on Twitter and Facebook.

RELATED: How to choose contractors and deal with insurance

Apartments flooded in Kingwood in this photo taken Sept. 3, 2017.

Report a typo to the ABC13 staff

Copyright © 2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.