Houston family hears from son who went missing after Brussels attacks

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security says there is no credible threat against the United States after a deadly terrorist attack in Brussels on Tuesday.

Still, security has been increased at Houston's airports and METRORail stations.

VIDEO: Houstonians dealing with attacks in Brussels
EMBED More News Videos

Security increased at Houston airports after Brussels attacks

Back here at home, one woman says she's relieved after receiving word of her son, who went missing during the terrorist attack.

Gaetane Pauwels heard from her husband just before 8am Wednesday, that his son and her stepson, was found alive in Brussels.

"It's over. It's over," she told Eyewitness News, followed by a deep exhale. She sat down with us two hours after learning he was safe.

EMBED More News Videos

A woman is Houston waits in anguish for word of her son's survival after Brussels attack

Gaetan, a 21-year-old university student, was standing on the subway platform near where the bomb went off.

"He was very close to where the explosion happened," Pauwels said. "I'm not sure exactly where. Then when it happened, he got flown to the side and hit something."

She says her stepson doesn't remember what happened. He woke up in a hotel lobby turned triage center after being knocked out for most of Tuesday.

"He's got a few injuries and apparently stitches that have to be done, but nothing major," she said.

Tuesday, Pauwels introduced us to her sister in Brussels via Skype. Her sister told Eyewitness News that her daughter, Pauwel's niece, was also supposed to be waiting at that subway platform when the explosion happened, but slept in.

Pauwel's husband says Gaetan was quiet on the phone. They don't know yet how serious his injuries are.

"I think he's got some PTSD. It's probably going to take some time before he's going to go back to school," Pauwels said.
Copyright © 2020 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.