State Rep. Sylvester Turner, D-Houston, told the Houston Chronicle on Friday that the offenders "are leaving - no ifs, ands or buts about it."
The Chronicle reports that up to 29 convicts moved quietly into the northwestern Houston boarding house are classified by the state as dangerous enough to have to complete their sentences in a civil commitment program instead of parole.
State Sen. John Whitmire, D-Houston, says the convicts had been moved from the halfway house to free beds needed for low-risk offenders. Neighbors learned of the men's presence when they received notifications from the state sex-offender registry.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices