The flames broke out while six adults and two young children were watching TV. Everyone quickly made it outside safely.
But then Walter Serpit, who walks with a cane, rushed back into the burning building to save something near and dear to him.
"I told them to get the kids out and everything, and me myself, being an alcoholic, I was trying to get my beer out," he said. "You feel me?"
Serpit managed to rescue several cans of beer from the fire without getting burned.
Firefighters say you should never go back into a building that's on fire.
The residents are blaming a newly installed water heater for the fire.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices