Firefighter injured after fire, shelter-in-place at JSC

July 25, 2011 12:15:46 PM PDT
A firefighter was injured after a fire and shelter-in-place at NASA Johnson Space Center.

The Houston Fire Department says it was dispatched to a building fire with HazMat at JSC just after 9:30am Monday morning.

HFD says a battery was being tested inside a containment system when it overheated and caught some of the insulation on fire. Initially, it was believed that one of the bi-products of combustion could be dangerous so NASA issued a shelter-in-place for the facility.

HazMat conducted air monitoring and revised the shelter-in-place to include only the building of origin.

HFD said the fire was extinguished just before 11:30am.

One firefighter was injured when a hydrant cap blew off and struck him in the knee. There were no other reported injuries.


Load Comments