Family's dogs rescued from burning home

Images from two-alarm fire at home in the Montrose area

January 24, 2011 9:33:36 AM PST
Firefighters say a space heater is likely to blame for a two-alarm fire just west of downtown Houston overnight. The flames were first spotted around 11pm at a home on West Polk and Stanford. When firefighters arrived, they were met by heavy flames shooting from the two-story brick house.

We're told the fire broke out in a back bedroom. Crews got word there were animals trapped inside and quickly attacked the fire. They ended up rescuing six dogs. But the family tells us another two dogs did not make it out alive.

The homeowners -- a husband, his wife, their adult son and the son's girlfriend -- all managed to get out safely.

"They smelled smoke, my bother Joey tried to go in there. It must have spread real quick," said son Mickey Diaz.

Firefighters say a space heater is to blame for the blaze. Apparently, there was an electrical short. It caught fire. The fire made its way into the wall and up the attic, so it spread quickly and it made it very difficult to fight.

The family's adult son was treated for smoke inhalation, but we're told he'll be fine.

The family was allowed back into the house this morning to salvage what they could.

Load Comments