Man shocked while working in SE Houston home

June 6, 2010 3:53:41 PM PDT
A man was shocked while working on a home in southeast Houston Sunday and was almost killed, but a couple of neighbors helped save his life. The man's mother told us her 55-year-old son was working in the attic of their home on Bonner near the Gulf Freeway when apparently the breaker popped. She ran across the street and asked her neighbor for help.

That neighbor happens to be a firefighter. He says he found wire cutters in the victim's hand, so it appears he was trying to cut or strip the wire.

The rescuers estimate the man was out for four to five minutes before they got to him. They helped pull him down from the attic and used on-the-job training to start compressions until paramedics arrived.

"He had a bit of trauma," said Aubrey Bashara, who helped resuscitate the man. "Wasn't sure if it was an exit wound from the electrocution. He was blue, no color, pulseless. So we went ahead and pulled him down."

The good news is the good Samaritans were able to regain a pulse before the victim was transported. That man is in an area hospital. His condition is unknown at this time.