Cigarette blamed for house fire

October 28, 2008 4:51:25 PM PDT
Investigators think a cigarette is to blame for burning a house to the ground. It started early Tuesday morning on Lincolnshire near MLK in southeast Houston.A woman who lives there says she heard a noise and then saw the flames. She ran to the bedroom to wake up her husband. She says the flames spread very quickly.

"By the time I ran out, it was already spreading to the dining room," recalled homeowner Patricia McLemore.

Investigators think the cigarette ignited in a trash can and then the fire destroyed the home. Jeffrey McLemore suffered a minor burn to his arm.

Neighbors came out to console the couple as firefighters put out the flames. They also offered to help.

      Headline check | 100 most recent local stories | News alerts
            Slideshow archive | ABC13 wireless | Help solve crimes


Load Comments