Hospital pharmacy made blood thinner error

July 11, 2008 4:44:56 AM PDT
A Corpus Christi hospital confirms that its pharmacy made the mixing error that led to as many as 17 infants in an intensive care unit receiving an overdose of a blood thinner.Two of the infants, a twin brother and sister, named Keith and Kaylynn Garcia, have died this week, though the hospital said its physicians have found no direct links between the overdose of heparin and the deaths.

A prepared statement from Christus Spohn Health System's Chief Medical Officer says the error was unrelated to product labeling or packaging.

Earlier this week, the hospital announced two pharmacy employees had taken voluntary leave while the investigation proceeded.

Hospital officials say autopsies are being conducted on both of the Garcia infants and the Texas Department of State Health Services is conducting a review

          State News Channel | 100 most recent Texas stories
        Slideshow archive | ABC13 wireless | Headlines at a glance


Load Comments