Here's what's on tap.
Set the Record Straight: The Jam Master Jay Case
Jason Mizell was one third of the iconic hip-hop group Run-DMC. But if his name doesn't sound as familiar to you, that's probably because he's best known as Jam Master Jay.
Jam Master Jay was killed in 2002, and the case has remained unsolved for nearly 20 years.
But why haven't there be any answers? Why has his case gone cold?
That's what the original documentary "Set the Record Straight: The Jam Master Jay Case" seeks to find out.
The film from ABC Localish Studios features new interviews with family, friends, hip-hop pioneers and never-before-seen videos and photos.
"Set the Record Straight: The Jam Master Jay Case" is streaming now. Look for it in the "Binge This!" collection.
A Houston hero that's been saving you money for 40 years
If you've lived in Houston any amount of time, you know Mattress Mack.
Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale started Gallery Furniture 40 years ago with $5,000 and a dream.
Four decades later, he's sitting down with ABC13 anchor Gina Gaston to share his secret to success, including his famous TV ads and those big bets on sports.
But Mattress Mack is also all about community, and that's never been more clear than when he opened the doors to his furniture store to help families during Hurricane Harvey. He did it again during the winter storm in February.
SEE ALSO: Gallery Furniture's 'Mattress Mack' praised for heroism in Harvey's wake
"Mattress Mack: 40 years of saving you money" is streaming in the Binge This! collection.
Our America: Climate of Hope
Ahead of Earth Day on April 22, the "Our America" series is bringing you a seven-part special on how billion-dollar climate disasters are affecting communities. Texans know this well, whether it's a hurricane season, or the recent historic and deadly cold that left millions of people in the dark without power, heat and clean water two months ago.
Still, there is ingenuity, innovation and hope. That's what this special is exploring as it looks at everything from the young activists campaigning for climate action to how you can go waste-free for one week.
You can watch these titles on demand now:
- How climate change is reshaping communities
- Climate change makes coastal erosion, flooding a rising risk
- Historic rise in wildfires challenges California to adapt
- Food innovation reduces reliance on animals and water
- Zero-Waste Challenge: Going waste-free for one week
- Meet the young climate activists of EcoTok
- Amid perils of climate change, there are reasons for hope
COVID-19 vaccine: What's going on with the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine?
Earlier this week, federal officials halted the use of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine immediately after discovering six cases in the U.S. of a rare and severe type of blood clot that developed in the patients who received that vaccine. The reports are out of more than 7 million inoculations in the nation with the one-dose vaccine. One of the cases was deadly, which led to the pause.
The vaccine was in use in the Houston area. That was put on pause, too.
So what happens next? In our COVID-19 vaccine collection, we sought to get those answers.
Here's what to watch:
- Will pause on J&J vaccinations increase vaccine hesitancy?
- CDC deputy director on J&J vaccine, blood clot cases
- J&J vaccine issues should have little effect on Houston
You think you know, but you have no idea
You see them every day and welcome them into your home, but do you really know the anchors and reporters at ABC13?
If you're a fan of trivia and fast facts, you'll want to spend some time in the Get to Know Us section.
Here, you'll find out why Mayra Moreno has a personal connection to The Terminator Arnold Schwarzenegger, Erik Barajas' bromance, Melanie Lawson's hidden talent that will make you LOL, and why Elita Loresca was the first person we had to bleep! Don't worry though. Unlike "A Christmas Story" character Ralphie, who had to wash his mouth out with soap for dropping quite the bomb, Elita did not have to get friendly with Dial soap for this segment.
Topping the collection is a Q & A with ABC13's new Race and Culture reporter Cory McGinnis. It's all streaming now.
More local news when you need it
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed many people's schedules, meaning they are working from home or waking up later.
If you're one of those people who've had to shift a bit, we're still here for you.
We're still on the air at 4:30 a.m. for the early birds, but for those still thinking about changing out of their pajamas (or maybe getting settled into them because no one can see your whole outfit on a Zoom call!), we now have an extra hour of news starting at 7 a.m.
So grab your cup of coffee for conversation about what you need to know for your day and what you missed while you were sleeping.
Then in primetime, including on the weekends, check out another hour of updates and weather when Eyewitness News streams at 9 p.m.
You can also stream our newscasts on weekend mornings.
- The Top 10: These are the most-watched stories and videos from the week, in case you missed anything. Look for these after 5 p.m. on Friday.
- Top News: This is where you'll find the most current stories of the day, especially about the latest on COVID-19 and crime trends, particularly when it comes to keeping you and your family safe. Scroll through here multiple times each day.
- Get hired!: With the COVID-19 pandemic creating a devastating effect on the economy and job market, ABC13 is dedicated to helping people who need to find gainful employment. Every Thursday at 11:30 a.m., reporter Nick Natario hosts a live virtual job fair in partnership with Workforce Solutions. Re-watch the latest job fair for tips on getting hired.
- We know many sports fans in Texas love their "Friday Night Lights" and high school football, but we've got a way for you to see even more high school sports than what's on the gridiron. ABC13 has teamed up with Texan Live for games of the week. When we have a game coming up, we'll update the date, time, schools and opponents in this story, so you'll want to bookmark that. Then head over to the streaming apps to watch the game free!
- Stream 'No Layups' live on Thursdays and Sundays at 1 p.m. The podcast with ABC13's David Nuno and Raheel Ramzanali goes there on a range of topics from sports to entertainment and pop culture. Guests change each week and have included big names like UFC fighter Michael Chandler, Astros star Lance McCullers Jr. and Reggaeton superstar Nicky Jam. Re-watch past episodes by going to ABC13 Originals and select the 'No Layups with David and Raheel' show.
Ok, I'm ready. How do I watch?
This is the easy part! We have a step-by-step guide to show you how to download the free ABC13 Houston apps for your Roku, Fire TV, Google TV or Apple TV. Follow this link to get started and get access to 24/7 live events, breaking news, weather and original programming, all free - no subscription or access codes needed.