The fire department said the grill may have been burning for about four hours inside an apartment in the 8500 block of Easton Commons Drive. Smoked filled the apartment, Eyewitness News learned from the scene.
The family, including children ranging in age from 5 to 10 years old, were rushed to Memorial Hermann Cypress. An adult and one of the children were listed in critical condition. The rest were reportedly stable.
UPDATE: Ages of the children range from 5 years old to 10 years old. 1 adult and 1 child are in listed in critical condition at @memorialhermann Cypress.— Cy-Fair Fire Department (@cyfairfd) February 15, 2021
The family was reportedly burning the fire for warmth for about 4 hours.
Photo: Capt. Daniel Arizpe, PIO/ @cyfairfd #hounews pic.twitter.com/wBbEkcKYai
SEE ALSO: How to prevent carbon monoxide leaks in your home during cold weather
In the wake of the incident, fire officials are reminding people about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, especially as the area dives deeper into extremely cold temperatures.
"Please remember to never heat your home with a grill or oven," the fire department tweeted. "Please remember to never run a generator or grill inside your home. These produce carbon monoxide, which is a deadly, colorless and odorless gas."
SEE MORE: Woman who lost 5 family members to carbon monoxide giving away free detectors
Follow Shelley Childers on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.