Dog involved in attack on 3-year-old girl at restaurant is now in custody

Mycah Hatfield Image
Friday, January 15, 2021
New video shows moments before dog bit 3-year-old in face
A 3-year-old girl was bitten by a dog in a service vest while at a restaurant in Old Town Spring. Now, new surveillance video from the restaurant gives a closer look at how it all unfolded.

SPRING, Texas (KTRK) -- A dog at the center of an investigation after it bit a 3-year-old girl at a restaurant in Old Town Spring is now in custody and at the Montgomery County Animal Shelter.

Additionally, the Harris County Sheriff's Office told ABC13 they have not spoken to the dog's owner, but say evidence will be presented to the district attorney's office for potential charges.

According to the sheriff's office, investigators know who the woman is, but they have not been able to make direct contact with her.

SEE ALSO: Investigators still looking for handler of dog involved in attack on 3-year-old girl

The Waldroup family said they took their 3-year-old daughter, Ronin, to the Loose Caboose in Old Town Spring. As the little girl entered the restaurant a few steps ahead of her family in the line to order food, the Waldroup family said a dog wearing a service vest bit her face.

READ MORE: Authorities investigate dog wearing service vest that bit toddler at restaurant

The girl's family members want the dog's owner to take responsibility for what happened. ABC13's Mycah Hatfield shares their story in the video above. WARNING: Some of the images may be graphic.

In a new surveillance video obtained by ABC13 on Tuesday, the woman and the dog are seen walking down the sidewalk with the girl's father, James Waldroup, walking not far behind her. The video does not include audio, but body language indicates an exchange between the two.

"There was an accident," James recalled saying to the dog's handler. "[I said,] 'You cannot leave. My daughter is bleeding in a restroom and you're running down the road.'"

The woman then got in a car with a man and left.

The incident remains under investigation and no criminal charges have been filed against the owner.