Some nut butter brands can be dangerous to your pets

My Nanook LOVES peanut butter! Peanut butter treats, peanut butter flavored doggie ice cream, peanut butter crackers and of course, peanut butter right out of the jar.

And Winnie loves to give Nanook her favorite treats.



I'm sure many of your dogs are just like Nanook. You probably even use peanut butter to hide pills when your dog needs to take medication.

Now, there's a new warning about certain peanut butter brands that could be dangerous or even deadly to your dog.

Recently, an increasing number of peanut (and other nut) butters contain xylitol.



Xylitol is a sugar substitute commonly used in toothpastes, mouthwash, sugarless gum, and other sugar-less candies. Now xylitol is showing up in some nut butters. Check the labels on your nut butter before feeding to your pets.

Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death in dogs.



According the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center, there were approximately 13,200 cases of pet poisoning that involved human foods last year. Some of those are attributed to xylitol poisoning.



For more on the life threatening effects of xylitol on your dogs, tap or click here.
Related Topics:
petsCasey's pets
(Copyright ©2018 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)