President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the act in 1965. It effectively stopped the requirement of literacy tests in order to vote.
"It is wrong, deadly wrong, to deny any of your fellow Americans the right to vote in this country," President Johnson said during a speech before a joint session of congress in March 15, 1965, urging them to pass the Voting Rights Act.
The act was signed into law five months later.
Here's a list of the voter registration drives taking place today.
- Northeast Multi-Purpose Center
9720 Spaulding Houston, Texas 77016
- Acres Homes Multi-Purpose Center
6719 W. Montgomery, Houston, Texas 77091
- Fifth Ward Multi-Purpose Center
4014 Market St, Houston, Texas 77020
- Houston's This Is It Soul Food
2712 Bloggett, Houston, Texas 77004
- West-End Multi-Purpose Center
170 Heights Blvd Houston, TX 77007
- Latino Learning Center
3522 Polk St, Houston, TX 77003
- Vietnamese Community Center
9530 Antoine Drive Houston, TX
- Lone Star College-Greenspoint Center
250 North Sam Houston Pkwy E, Houston, TX 77060
- Pleasantville Neighborhood
1514 Pleasantville Dr. Houston TX
- Mickey Leland Federal Building
1919 Smith St. Houston Tx 77002
- The Breakfast Klub
3711 Travis St, Houston, TX
- NAACP - Houston Branch
2002 Wheeler, Houston, TX 77004
- Houston Area Urban League
1301 Texas Avenue Houston, TX 77002
- Houston Children's Museum
1500 Binz Street, Houston, TX 77004