Tomball HS student falls ill while using vape pen

TOMBALL, Texas (KTRK) -- A Tomball High School student is in the hospital after experiencing a medical emergency involving a vape pen.

Tomball police say the male student was taken to a hospital in The Woodlands Monday evening after becoming ill.

It happened in the minutes before a choir orientation. Ariel Scott, 18, who brought her younger sister and her friend to the event, says another student gave him the vape pen.



"The girl handed it to him. He hit it and passed out. He would not wake up. He was not waking up. They tried to get him up. He was not getting up so the ambulance had to come and get him on a stretcher," Scott said.

She added an assistant principal then escorted the female student out.

SEE ALSO: 24-year-old father on life support with illnesses possibly linked to vaping
"I tell them, 'Don't do that. Don't vape.' It's causing a lot of problems and it's starting younger and younger," Scott said.

The student's condition is not known.

ABC13's questions about whether the contents of the vape pen will be analyzed have gone unanswered.

Tomball ISD released this statement to ABC13 late Monday:
"Tomball ISD can confirm a student at Tomball High School experienced a medical emergency during an after school activity involving a vape pen. A staff member immediately recognized the emergency, assisted with the incident as the student became ill and called 911 immediately. An ambulance arrived and the student was transported to a local hospital where family members were present. We have no new details on the student's health at this time. In Tomball ISD, educational resources have been put in place and the district will continue its efforts to educate students and parents on the negative effects of vaping."

Tomball ISD superintendent Dr. Martha Salazar-Zamora issued this statement Monday night:
"In Tomball ISD, we are fully aware of the seriousness of vaping and the negative effects it has on our nation and our young students today. We continue to have candid conversations with our students, staff and greater Tomball community on this issue. We understand the need for implementing educational resources in our schools and have partnered with MD Anderson's Preventative Disease Department to carry out a preventative curriculum through their ASPIRE program. ASPIRE is an educational tool that helps middle and high school teens learn about being tobacco free and the dangers of tobacco use, with an emphasis on vaping. Tomball ISD, as always, will continue to educate our students, staff and community on the dangerous effects of vaping."

Follow Jessica Willey on Facebook and Twitter.

RELATED:
Teen in medically-induced coma for mystery lung disease possibly linked to vaping
New vaping warning from health officials after more deaths in U.S
Vaping damages lung tissue, causes immunity issues sans nicotine, THC, study says
Copyright © 2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.