The Union Kitchen's Cider Braised Pork Loin with Sweet Potato Puree
For the Pork Loin:
- 1 pork loin
- 1.5 Tablespoons salt and pepper
- 4 pounds mirepoix
- 1/4 gallon apple cider
- 1/4 gallon red wine
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 1/8 cup chicken base
- 1.5 cups marinara
- 1/2 pound margarine
For the Sweet Potato Puree:
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into squares
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
For the Spaghetti Squash:
- 1 spaghetti squash, cut in half length--wise
- Fresh tarragon, chopped
Cider Braised Pork Loin Directions:
- Season pork loin with salt and pepper.
- Sear the pork loin until golden brown.
- In a stock pot, add butter and mirepoix and saut over medium--high heat until well caramelized
- Add marinara sauce and saut for 15 minutes, for until fond is at the bottom of the stockpot.
- Deglaze with red wine and apple cider.
- Place pork loin in a 6" pan and cover liquid
- Cover pan with foil and place in 350--400 degree oven, to cook for 2.5 hours or until tender to the fork.
- Place remaining liquid and mirepoix in stockpot and bring to a simmer.
- Strain the liquid.
- Place the liquid back in the pot, and bring to a simmer, thickening with a mix of corn starch and water, if necessary, until it coats the back of
the spoon with the consistency of a cream.
- Coat the pork loin with the liquid mixture, and serve.
Sweet Potato Puree Directions:
- Place potatoes in stock pot and cover with water, bring to a simmer.
- Cook potatoes until tender to the fork, about 20 minutes.
- Strain in colander and allow to dry slightly.
- Place potatoes in a mixing bowl with remaining ingredients and whip until smooth, with no lumps.
- Plate and serve.
Spaghetti Squash Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds with a spoon.
- Place squash cut side down on a sheet pan and add 1/4" water.
- Place in oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Scoop out the squash with a spoon.
- Saute the squash with butter and fresh chopped tarragon. Season with salt.
Tap here for even more Thanksgiving recipes!