Luca Manfe's Apple Pandoro Bread Pudding
For the Bread Pudding:
- 2 cup (500g) Pandoro - diced in 1/2 in cubes
- 4 cups (950g) gala or pink lady apples - peeled and diced in 1/2 cubes
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- IL PANDORO DI VERONA All Natural (can be purchased at HEB)
For the Mulled wine sauce:
- 2 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped but save the pod
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 apple, with no core
For the Apple chips:
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sugar
Bread Pudding Directions:
- Place the diced Pandoro in a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes at 350 F, until nice and crispy.
- Peel and dice the apples.
- Add to a pan with butter, 1 scraped vanilla bean, 2 tbsp of sugar, and 1 tbsp cinnamon powder.
- Cook for 5 minutes on high heat, until butter and sugar melts.
- Pre heat the oven at 350 F.
- Put the diced Pandoro into a baking dish (9x9") together with the apple mixture.
- In a saucepan bring 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of cream to simmer.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with cup of sugar and 1 tbsp of dark rum.
- Whisk the hot milk-cream-mixture into the eggs, until the bowl gets warm (constantly whisking).
- Pour the just prepared mixture on top of the apples and the Pandoro cubes. Let the liquid soak for at least 30 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until custard is set.
Mulled Wine Sauce Directions:
- Pour all ingredients according to the above into a sauce pan.
- Bring everything to boil and reduce mixture in half.
- For large serving, simply add some water and cornstarch - otherwise you would need too much wine and time to reach the right consistency.
Apple Chips Directions:
- Slice apples with a mandolin and lay them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and bake at 275 F for 60 minutes or until crispy.
Tap here for even more Thanksgiving recipes!