Homemade Dishwasher Detergent
- 1 cup washing soda
- 1 cup baking soda
- 3 packets unsweetened lemonade drink mix
- 1 cup kosher salt (The salt is used to soften the water. Depending on how hard your water is, adjust accordingly)
- 1 cup water
- Mix all dry ingredients together
- If you are using this as a dry powder, omit the water.
- Pour all dry ingredients into an airtight container. An optional step would be to add a bag of uncooked rice in a clean cloth to help keep the dry mixture from clumping.
- Add one tablespoon of dry powder mix to your dishwasher dispenser. You can also use vinegar in your rinse dispenser.
- If you are making tabs, add water and wait for fizzing to stop (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add your mixture to ice cube trays, making sure to press the mixture with your fingers or the back of a spoon.
- Let dry in a warm and sunny spot for 24 hours or until completely dry.
- Remove tablets and add to an airtight container to store.
- When washing dishes, add one tablet to the dishwasher. You can also use vinegar in your rinse dispenser.
Price (based on amount used from the box):
- 3 Lemonade Powder Packets (unsweetened) - $.60
- Baking Soda - $.40
- Kosher Salt - $.43
- Washing Soda - $.50
Total $1.93 / 38 washes =$.05 vs. Cascade tablets 14.99 / 48 loads = $.31
Homemade Laundry Detergent
- 1 box (3 lbs. 7 oz.) of super washing soda
- 1 box (4 lbs. 12 oz.) of Borax
- 1 box (4 lbs.) of pure baking soda
- 3 bars of ivory soap
- 1 container (1.3 lbs.) of Oxy Clean or generic store brand
- Purex crystals (28 oz.) for scent (or you could use Downy Unstoppables)
- Finely grate the ivory soap.
- Mix all ingredients together and store in the container of your choice.
- When you're ready to do laundry, use 1-2 tablespoons per load.
- 4 lbs baking soda - $3.18
- Washing Soda $5.98
- Borax - $4.79
- Purex - $3.99
- Store Brand Oxy Clean - $3.79
Total $21.73 / 504 washes = $.04 vs. Tide Tablets $12.99 / 38 loads = $.34
Find Patricia on Facebook at ABC13PatriciaLopez or on Twitter at @patricialopez13