One dead in suspected carbon monoxide leak

KILLINGTON, VT Authorities say nine people were staying at the Killington chalet when one person woke up feeling ill early Friday morning and alerted the others.

Vermont State Police say 60-year-old Edward Lappen, of Cohasset, Mass., died at a hospital. His wife was taken by helicopter to the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, where she was listed in fair condition Friday afternoon. The other seven are being treated at Rutland Regional Medical Center.

Police believe a cracked propane wall heater in the basement was the source of the leak. The chalet did not have carbon monoxide detectors.

Copyright © 2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.