Fire destroys Houston restaurant

HOUSTON The restaurant was in the Acres Homes area and is already missed.

When Willie Williams and his wife Hattie opened Williams Smokehouse, they never thought it would end like this. A short in the electrical system caused the barbecue joint to go up flames early this morning.

"This place here holds a lot of memories," Williams told us. "There were a lot of good times."

Williams spent two decades perfecting his oak smoke barbecue.

"I come here like maybe two three times of the week," said patron Shantell White. "I like the ribs."

After spending countless hours here and at another job, Williams says he no longer has the desire to continue in the restaurant business. Those who live here and frequent the restaurant say they are disappointed but understand.

"My prayers are with him and his family," said patron Ruby Glass. "He is older and up and age and I hope they had insurance, I hope they did."

Williams says his only regret is that he didn't have a chance to say goodbye to the people who were more than just customers.

Copyright © 2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.