For hours and for miles, large flames could be seen leaping out of this 6,000 square feet home in Lake Conroe.
"The fire first started in the garage and it quickly moved up into the attic," Montgomery County Fire Marshal Trey Baxter said.
It happened around 3:30pm Monday in the 11400 block of Grand Pine Drive.
Investigators tell us the homeowner and his teenage daughter were home and quickly got out. Just as quickly, the fire spread from the garage to the rest of the house.
"One of the reasons for the fire spread and the damage that you see behind me is because of the lack of fire hydrants that was in this neighborhood," Baxter said.
Authorities tell us it is not uncommon for these newer home developments outside of city limits to go without fire hydrants. But it does present a challenge as close to half a million gallons of water had to be brought in from six neighboring fire departments.
Despite the efforts, the home could not be saved. Neighbors could do nothing more than to stand back and watch as it burned to the ground.
Six hours after the erupted, firefighters were still at the scene trying to put out hot spots.
The homeowner says he's been living at the home since 2006. It is appraised at $650,000.
No one was injured in the fire.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices