Space heater fire nearly kills Montgomery County man

Investigators say a fire at this mobile home in Porter was started by a space heater (Robert Paniagua)

December 28, 2013 12:15:01 PM PST
Montgomery County officials said a fire early Saturday nearly killed a man, and the finger can be pointed at a space heater and inoperable smoke detectors.

Porter and New Caney firefighters were called to a fire at a mobile home in the 24300 block of Evergreen Drive just after 1:30am. When crews arrived, there was heavy smoke and fire inside the home.

Firefighters said they entered the burning building and found a man unconscious in the hallway. They pulled him to safety and transported him to an area hospital.

Initial reports indicate that the fire started in a bedroom from a space heater left on overnight. Investigators said the home was equipped with two smoke detectors, but neither was functioning. One detector was missing its battery, and the second detector should have been powered by the home's electrical system, but it was unplugged.

The numbers of residential fires and associated fatalities peak annually during December, January and February as temperatures fall. Space heaters account for most -- nearly 40 percent -- of all home heating deaths.

Officials would like to remind you to protect your family by ensuring that your home is equipped with working smoke detectors. Nationwide surveys indicate that one-third of all smoke detectors in homes today will not function due to missing or dead batteries.

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

Load Comments