Space heater blamed for fire at home of 80-year-old man in northwest Houston

Investigators say a space heater started a fire that burned this northwest Houston home

December 26, 2013 4:52:52 AM PST
Investigators say a space heater is to blame for a house fire this morning in northwest Houston.

It happened on Victoria at Volley in the Acres Homes area around midnight.

Investigators say an 80-year-old man was home alone and woke up to smoke. The man was reportedly using a space heater to heat his bedroom when it caught some of his clothes on fire and spread.

The man tried to put out the flames himself, but he couldn't. He was able to escape unharmed.

"I got up. I had to get up. I got on up by myself," homeowner Tommy Dones said. "It was blazing; I couldn't see too much before I got outside because of the smoke on the inside, blaze on the outside. I just come on out; I stayed on out."

Flames were already shooting through the roof by the time firefighters arrived. The home sustained extensive damage, but no injuries were reported.

Every year, space heaters cause a third of all house fire deaths and four out of five home-heating deaths. Half of all home heating fires occur in December, January and February.

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices


Load Comments