Rescued puppy given CPR after fire

One man gave a rescued puppy mouth-to-mouth resuscitation

January 14, 2010 12:29:23 PM PST
Three dogs are safe after being rescued during an apartment fire in southwest Houston overnight. The flames sparked around 1am on Gustine near South Gessner. All of the residents were able to get out safely.

Residents say the fire broke out in a downstairs unit.

"By the time we got our water supply established, and there was a slight delay in that because of distance to the attic, there was a heavy fire in the attic," said Houston Fire Department District Chief Curtis Seamans.

Firefighters took action once they realized three dogs were stuck in one of the units. After the dogs were rescued, their owner gave a dog mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Emergency personnel placed a special oxygen mask on a dog to help it breathe. All of the dogs survived and no people were injured.

Four units suffered fire damage. Four others have smoke and water damage. It's unclear what started the fire.


Load Comments