HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Bake? Fry? Or Smoke? There's more than one way to cook a turkey this Thanksgiving! The guys from Pitmaker dropped by the ABC-13 studios to talk turkey and share a few secrets for cooking the perfect bird.
If you bake your turkey:
- Brine your turkey to keep it moist and flavorful.
- If you use a rub, make sure it doesn't contain too much sugar. Excess sugar will cause the skin to burn.
- Use an injection add more flavor.
If you smoke a turkey:
- It's best to smoke a smaller bird - 13 pounds or less is ideal. This will keep the bird from drying out.
- Cook "low and slow" - low heat, for a longer amount of time.
- Use "fruity" woods, like pear or apple, to add holiday flavor.
If you deep fry your turkey:
- Safety first! Make sure your turkey is completely thawed, you don't overfill your oil, and you keep the fryer away from your home or garage.
- Use an injector to add flavor and spice.
- Make sure the turkey is cooked to the proper internal temperature.
Pitmaker has several great recipes to help make your Thanksgiving turkey a crowd favorite. You'll find them on Pitmaker's official website.