Santa Fe HS employee hospitalized after gas odor in cafeteria prompted evacuation, district says

KTRK logo
Wednesday, April 6, 2022
Santa Fe HS students, staff evacuated due to gas odor, district says
EMBED <>More Videos

The district sent out the announcement just after noon, and all students were reported safe.

SANTA FE, Texas (KTRK) -- A Santa Fe High School employee was hospitalized after a natural gas odor in the school's cafeteria prompted an evacuation Wednesday afternoon.

Students and staff had to be evacuated from the building, according to a tweet from the district.

The district sent out the announcement at about 12:10 p.m. and by 12:45 p.m., students and staff got the OK to go back into the building.

All students are safe.

Everyone remained outside as fire crews and CenterPoint Energy worked to resolve the issue. CenterPoint later determined there was no gas leak.

SkyEye captured the video above which shows a fire truck and some gas crews in the school parking lot.

"All students who were unable to finish their lunch due to the evacuation will be allowed to eat lunch," the district said.