Texas State student found dead was dragged by party bus

KTRK logo
Friday, November 4, 2016

SAN MARCOS, TX (KTRK) -- A Texas State University student whose body was found on Saturday in Martindale was dragged by a bus, deputies say.

The Guadalupe County Sheriff's Office says they were called at 1:09 p.m. on Oct. 29 to Cool River Ranch, located at 601 Dupuy Ranch Road, southeast of San Marcos. The body of Jordin Taylor, 20, of Burleson, Texas, was found under the rear axle of the bus.

Taylor was dragged more than 500 feet after being hit by the bus, investigators say. The bus is owned and operated by Skyline Party Bus.

KXAN reports that the company has been involved in two crashes and has had five safety violations since last year. On April 2, 2016, one of the company's bus' was found in violation of not being equipped with an anti-lock brake system. The same bus also received a violation that day for having a defective brake warning device.

Police say there was a fraternity party at the ranch on Friday evening. At around 11:15 p.m., one of the shuttle buses lost its air braking system. The bus driver's supervisor told the driver to leave the bus where it stopped and transfer to another bus. A mechanic arrived Saturday and found the woman's body. Authorities believe the bus' mechanical problems were a result of the collision with the student.

According to the university, the two fraternities that held Friday night's party are Pi Kappa Alpha and Alpha Tau Omega.

Texas State official Matt Flores says the off-campus event was registered through the university, but he did not know which fraternities were there. Students who attended the party said there were several fraternities hosting the party.

Neechi Sosa, a senior who was also at the party says he felt very safe at the event.

"There was a lot of cops out there on patrol watching out for students... I had seen a lot of security and then there was paramedics out there keeping watch too but everything seemed fine to me," Sosa says. He said the party didn't go late, they ended around 11:30 that night.

"I just think this whole thing was like a tragedy and no student would wish for this to happen to," Sosa said. He says he only talked with Taylor a few times, but says she had a sweet, infectious personality.

"She was just really welcoming, she just really happy, full of life I would say," Sosa remember "She was accepting as a friend, like for her not to know me and to consider being my friend, I can tell she's a genuine person."

Deputies say the crash appears to be an accident.