Navy vet sues after E-Cigarette explodes in his pocket

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A north Texas man has hired a Houston law firm to sue those who manufactured, distributed and sold an e-cigarette which exploded in that man's pocket.

"It was burning a hole in my leg," said Matthew Bonestele. "It was shooting the flammables into me!"

Bonestele said the device exploded while in his right pocket and without warning.

Bonestele, a veteran who served nine years in the U.S. Navy, has filed suit claiming the e-cig and its battery were "dangerous" and were made, distributed and sold with "gross negligence." The veteran suffered third-degree burns in the ordeal.

Attorney Randy Sorrels said Bonestele "...suffered an injury that he could never have imagined in civilian life. The reality is that these batteries are small sticks of dynamite and the e-cigarette industry needs to make whole sale changes to insure the safety of all those who use these batteries."

"If this can happen to me, it can happen to anybody," said Bonestele.

We've repeatedly requested comment from all the defendants named in this suit: Great Vapes, Vapro Supply, Shenzhen Fest Technology Co, Lightfire Group, LG Chem and LG Chem America. So far none have offered comment.

Report a typo to the ABC13 staff

Copyright © 2022 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.