How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

EMBED </>More Videos

More than 400 Americans die from carbon monoxide poisoning each year. Find out how to protect yourself.

The Harris County Medical Examiner identified Sandalio Ceballo as the man found dead after a suspected carbon monoxide leak. The frightening situation unfolded on Saturday inside building 4 at The Ashford Aberdeen Apartment Homes located at 3400 Woodchase Drive, and 8 others fell ill. An autopsy was performed on Ceballo. A final cause of death is still pending.

The Ashford Aberdeen posted a notice on tenants' doors. It read in part, "It has come to our attention that building 4 has tested positive for traces of carbon monoxide. It is mandated by the City of Houston that all residents of building 4 need to temporarily be out of their apartments until further notice; possibly Monday."

By this afternoon, the building remained empty. Apartment management told Eyewitness News inspectors were still trying to pinpoint where the poisonous, odorless gas came from.

According to the CDC, more than 400 people die a year from carbon monoxide poisoning. More than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized

Firefighters said you should install a carbon monoxide in your residence if you don't have one. You also should check it every month to make sure it works properly. For more information on how to protect yourself, visit the National Fire Protection Association website.
Related Topics:
fire safetysafetygas fumesHarris County
(Copyright ©2018 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)