The fire broke out after 12:30am at a home on Spencer Street at Thompson Street, near Washington Avenue.
The homeowner and a friend had just finished putting up their Christmas tree when they realized some of their Christmas lights were not working.
The two went to a nearby store to buy some replacement lights. When they returned, they found smoke pouring from the home.
When the homeowner opened his front door, heavy smoke and flames erupted from the home.
Firefighters discovered two dogs in the back of the home. They were able to revive one dog, but the second died at the scene.