SPRING, Texas (KTRK) -- Emergency crews were sent to a middle school in Spring where several students needed medical attention after consuming an illegal substance at lunch on campus.
This was reported as a possible overdose event at Klein ISD's Hildebrandt Intermediate School at about 2:30 p.m. Monday.
Officials with the school district told ABC13 that several students may have intentionally ingested some kind of substance in the cafeteria.
Six students ended up being sent to a hospital in The Woodlands. Administrators would not say what the substance was, but added it was brought on campus by another student.
However, one of the sickened students, an 8th grader named Destiny, said the substance was marijuana edibles. Her mother, Heidi, reached out to ABC13 saying her daughter is epileptic and did not knowingly consume the edibles.
"It looked like candy so I ate it," Destiny said in a video her mother recorded at the hospital. "Then I had another one."
"So you had two? Did they tell you what it was?," Heidi is heard asking in the video.
"No, not yet," Destiny responded.
Destiny said another student later told her they were eating edibles. Her mom said she's unhappy with Klein ISD for punishing her daughter while she was still unconscious and unable to share her side of what happened.
"I'm very upset with the school," she said. "Automatically, they told me she was going to be suspended for three days."
The district told ABC13 all questions about the substance and possible charges for the student who brought it to the campus would have to be answered by law enforcement. The case remains under investigation.
The girl will be fine once the THC has cleared out of her system. Now, Heidi is hoping her daughter's name will also be cleared by district administrators.
Follow Steven Romo on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
6 middle school students sick after eating 'illegal substance' at Spring-area school