25-year-old reportedly found 8 years after going missing as a teen while walking dogs in NW Houston

The then-17-year-old was reported missing in 2015 after his dogs returned from a walk without him, prompting an extensive search.

Brooke Taylor Image
Monday, July 3, 2023
17-year-old who went missing in 2015 found 8 years later: Officials
ABC13 spoke to the mom of the now-25-year-old man, who shared pictures of him in a hospital bed after she said someone found him outside a church unresponsive.

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Now-25-year-old Rudy Farias is recovering in the hospital following his 8-year disappearance in northwest Houston, according to authorities. On Sunday night, ABC13 spoke to Farias' mom on the phone, who shared pictures of him in a hospital bed and said someone called 911 after finding him outside a church unresponsive.

The mother added he was found with cuts and bruises all over his body and blood in his hair and believes he was badly abused and beaten.

Rudy Farias was 17 years old when he was walking his two dogs near Tidwell and Park Drive on March 6, 2015. His family reported him missing after his dogs were recovered, but Farias was not found.

In 2015, authorities reported Farias was diagnosed with depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and anxiety. Texas EquuSearch began asking the public for help finding him, noting that he was possibly disoriented and hadn't been taking his medication.

Authorities said they temporarily suspended the search for the then-17-year-old on March 10, 2015, while they worked to gather more information. Two days later, on March 12, the hunt continued and ended the next day.

On March 13, 2015, authorities thanked searchers for their commitment while looking for Farias in rain-soaked fields.

On Sunday, July 2, 2023, authorities confirmed that Farias was located and safe.

Farias' mother said they have tried talking to him, but he will only say a few words and go into a fetal position. She said it would be a long healing journey but is thankful her son has been found alive.

For updates on this story, follow Brooke Taylor on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.