How you can help flood victims in the Houston area

KTRK logo
Thursday, April 21, 2016
How to help
EMBED <>More Videos

This is how you can help Houstonians.

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- When Houston is hit with a tough situation, neighbors are the first to step up and help each other out.

Since many of you have asked, here's how you can help.


Mayor Sylvester Turner is establishing the Greater Houston Storm Relief Fund to accept flood relief donations.

"We've been hearing from residents who are confused about where they should donate to get assistance directly to the residents of our city who are suffering, said Mayor Turner. "The creation of this fund will ensure the dollars donated stay in our community. The fund will focus on aiding storm victims and relief organizations in Harris, Fort Bend and Montgomery Counties."

The Greater Houston Community Foundation, a 501 (c)(3)nonprofit public charity will administer the fund. Online credit card donations will be assessed a small fee, typically 3 percent, by the credit card companies. Donors have the option of increasing their credit card donations to cover this fee. To donate, go to and follow the instructions.

Harvest Time Church accepting donations

17770 Imperial Valley Drive

People can donate diapers, wipes, personal hygiene products, snack foods for children, water, clothing. And if any caterers want to donate hot meals for displaced residents, the pastor welcomes you.

Precinct 1 Constables Office accepting donations

Harris County Precinct 1 Constable Alan Rosen's office has established a collection point in downtown Houston for donations of new clothing, diapers, hygiene items and other necessities for county residents who had to evacuate their homes due to flooding. Donors of items for evacuees may leave them with security personnel in the lobby of the county annex at 1302 Preston Street between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. weekdays. Precinct 1 staff will ensure the proper delivery of the items. For more information call Erica Davis of Precinct 1 at 832.286.3876.


The City of Houston Office of Emergency Management is asking any residents who experienced flooding inside their home or business to report it to the Houston 311 Help & Information Line by calling 311 or submitting the report online here.


Those who wish to donate to flood relief may do so at


Blood donations are always needed, especially in times of crisis. Find a Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center location near you at


Volunteers to help sort, process and box food and other necessities for disaster boxes for those impacted by the floods earlier this week.

The Houston Food Bank's main warehouse facility is at 535 Portwall Street. Register to volunteer online or call 713-547-8604.

Cash donations are also needed and can be made through the

Montgomery County Food Bank is asking residents to donate $10 to aid in flood emergency food assistance.

Cash donations are also needed and can be made through To text to give, simply send the letters MCFB to 45777.

If you or someone you know are in need of emergency food assistance, please contact MCFB through their website at or call 936-539-6686.

Volunteers can contact the Food Bank to help sort by emailing


The American Red Cross has opened additional shelters to aid those impacted by severe rain and flooding throughout the Greater Houston area. The entire current list of shelters is below:

VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED! Volunteers are greatly needed to staff shelters as well as distribute food and provide other services to those in need. Training will be provided on site. Anyone interested in assisting this way is encouraged to go to or call 713.313.5491.


Johnston Middle School, 10410 Manhattan Dr., Houston

Jersey Village Baptist Church, 16518 Jersey Drive, Jersey Village

MO Campbell Education Center, 1865 Aldine Bender Rd., Houston

Rosehill United Methodist Church, 21022 Rosehill Church Rd, Tomball

St. John's Church-Northwest, 8787 N. Houston Rosslyn Rd, Houston

Precinct 7 Deputies Offering Assistance to Flood Victims

Citizens in Sunnyside, South Park, Third Ward, or the Hiram Clarke area stranded due to high water can call the Precinct 7 24-hour Dispatch for assistance. The number to call is 713-643- 6602.


East Montgomery County Senior Center, 21679 McCleskey Road, New Caney

First United Methodist Church Conroe, 4309 West Davis, Conroe

South County Community Center, 2235 Lake Robbins Rd., Spring


Royal High School, 2550 Durkin Rd., Pattison

These shelters will be open 24 hours a day, providing a warm, dry place to stay, food and emotional support for area residents who are not able to remain at their homes due to storms and flooding.


Those with flood-related needs are urged to call the American Red Cross at 1-866-526-8300.


If you abandoned your car and the City of Houston tows it...

-- Look for it at with your license plate number or VIN

-- You should expect to pay:

-- $162.50 Non-consent Tow Fee (CITY)

-- $20.00 Per day charge at Licensed Vehicle Storage Facility

-- $50.00 Notification Fee from Storage Lot if they have to notify you after 24 hours that your car has been towed there.

-- $20.00 Impound fee.


Members of the Houston Area Off Road Recovery are in Cypress Creek helping flood victims with water and getting out of their homes. Contact number is 936.217.8673

If anyone is in need of information and resources related to the recent flooding can call 2-1-1 Texas/United Way HELPLINE.

United Way's trained HELPLINE specialists are answering calls 24/7 to provide information and referrals to storm-related resources drawn from our comprehensive database of social services.

If you need to have your car towed...

-- Call several companies to compare prices. Get the price in writing.

-- We got three different prices from the same tow company within a few hours.

-- The Texas Department of Licensing & Regulations establishes statewide maximum amounts for private property tows.

-- The maximum charge for a private property tow is:

-- $250 for a car weighing up to 10,000 lbs

-- $350 for a car weighing more than 10,000 but less than 25,000 lbs

-- $450 per unit for unit for cars weighing more than 25,000 lbs with a $900 total maximum

-- These are the maximum rates statewide. Lower rates may be set by local municipal or county rule.

-- A DAILY STORAGE CHARGE of between $5.00 and $20 per day or part of a day for a car that is 25 feet long or less. A Vehicle Storage Facility must charge $35 per day or part of a day for a car that is longer than 25 feet.

-- A NOTIFICATION FEE. A VSF may charge up to $50 for notifying you that your car is at their VSF.


-- Consumer info about towing

If you have a complaint or feel like you've been over-charged...

-- File a complaint with Houston Police Department's Auto Dealers Detail:

-- Call 832-394-4800 or email

Request a Tow Hearing

-- Consumers that have had their vehicle towed or booted without their consent are entitled to a hearing. File within 14 days.

-- File a complaint with the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulations

-- Filing a complaint with TDLR is not a substitute for requesting a tow hearing; however, you may do both.

You can locate your car at