In a statement released to The Associated Press Sunday, the 63-year-old Grammy-winning singer said she has been battling an addiction to the same medication that led to Prince's death. Prince was found dead at his Minnesota home April 21. An autopsy found he died of an overdose of fentanyl, a powerful opioid painkiller.
"Unfortunately, I will miss concert appearances over the summer," she said. "However, it's vital that I put my health and well-being first. I know that I am disappointing some of my fans, but I also know they would want me to recover and be well and healthy."
Thank you EVERYONE 4 your well wishes. Here's the OFFICIAL statement regarding my rehab & schedule - https://t.co/XPH6FwqwAc— Chaka Khan (@ChakaKhan) July 10, 2016
Khan has entered an intensive rehabilitation and aftercare program with sister, Yvonne Stevens, also known as Taka Boom.
Khan said the pair "agreed we would take this journey together and support each other through the recovery."
"The tragic death of Prince has had us both rethinking and reevaluating our lives and priorities. We knew it was time to take action to save our lives. My sister and I would like to thank everyone for their support, love and prayers."
Khan covered Prince's song "I Feel For You," which became one of her biggest hits. The two were longtime friends.