5-year-old boy tests positive for meth after eating Halloween candy

EMBED </>More Videos

Boy hospitalized over candy possibly laced with meth

Police in Galion, Ohio, are investigating if a child was given a Halloween candy laced with methamphetamine.

According to police, a 5-year-old boy was treated for consuming an illegal substance after trick-or-treating Sunday night.

SEE ALSO: 8-year-old dies after allegedly mistaking dad's crystal meth for breakfast cereal

"Found out the child had tested positive for methamphetamine in his system," said Galion Police Chief Brian Saterfield.

SEE ALSO: Clear Lake woman accused of carrying 3 kids and $200,000 worth of meth in car

Chief Saterfield says authorities are not sure if the child ate laced candy, but according to the boy's parents, he was playing with a vampire mouth toy he got while trick-or-treating. A few seconds later, he started to have a seizure.

"Since then, we have taken a piece of evidence to the crime lab," Chief Saterfield said.

RELATED: Puppy recovers after methamphetamine exposure day before dog show

Since the incident the whole community has been on high alert.

"I won't be taking my kids out trick-or-treating anymore. I will buy them candy and that will be the end of it," said parent Autumn Meuser. "That kid could've died."

"At the end of the day, a 5-year-old with methamphetamine, however it was ingested, was not good," said Chief Saterfield.

The boy is expected to make a full recovery.

THE CANDYMAN: Houston's own real-life Halloween horror story
EMBED More News Videos

Residents and police recall the horrifying crime

Related Topics:
halloweencandymethmethamphetamineu.s. & worldOhio