HOUSTON (KTRK) --The murder of an 11-year-old boy has spurred a local mother to rally more than 100 volunteers on the first day of class.
She wants to make sure every child makes it to a Northside school safely.
Josue Flores was stabbed 20 times while walking home from John Marshall Middle School in May.
Flores stayed late for a science club party at school and then walked home.
Ex-marine Andre Jackson is charged with his murder.
RELATED: Funeral held for 11-year-old Josue Flores in north Houston
Flores' death really shook this community and a group decided to take action.
A group of residents formed Safe Walk Home Northside.
They are vowing to stand in the front of their homes as children walk to and from school to ensure they get there safely.
The group has been meeting all summer long. The organizer says the idea came to her after a lot of prayer.
"I had about two days of crying and praying and just saying how could something like this happen. You know, how could something like this happen on the streets with cars passing by," said Stella Mireles-Walters of Safe Walk Home Northside.
After than Mireles-Walters contacted neighbors and she started the group. So far, 100 people are part of the group.
Paloma Martinez has an eight-year-old and an eleven-year-old. While she walks his kids to school, she feels better knowing others are watching over them too.
'Somebody else could be watching my kids while I'm turning around or something and you know and I feel really, really, more safe," said Paloma Martinez, a mother.
Safe Walk Home Northside gathered near Marshall Middle School on Monday to greet children and members of the community.
"My hopes are that every street will have a safe walk home sign and that this whole school year, that none of the students, would fall to any harm," said Mireles-Walters.
RELATED: Day of prayer to be held in memory of stabbing victim Josue Flores