HOUSTON (KTRK) --The Houston Independent School District approved changes for $1.2 million that will cover costs to rename schools named after Confederate leaders.
HISD says the amount will also cover the cost of replacing athletic and band uniforms.
The board voted in May to rename the following schools:
* Lee High School to Margaret Long Wisdom High School
* Albert Sidney Johnston Middle School to Meyerland Performing and Visual Arts Middle School
* Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson Middle School to Yolanda Black Navarro Middle School of Excellence
* John Reagan High School to Heights High School
* Richard Dowling Middle School to Audrey H. Lawson Middle School
* Sidney Lanier Middle School to Bob Lanier Middle School
* Jefferson Davis High School to Northside High School
VIDEO: Parents protest HISD's expensive plan to rename schools