Only on 13: Family says gas leak led to deadly explosion in north Houston

EMBED </>More News Videos

Family members say a gas leak and the flip of a light switch contributed to the deadly blast at a home in north Houston.

A northeast Houston family says their home exploded in flames last week after one of them turned on the light. All four people inside the home were severely injured.

"There was a gas leak and it was smelling on and off," explained relative Wanda Davenport. "At the time they thought it was gone, and she smelled it overnight but they cut the air conditioner on. They thought it was over with and they didn't smell it anymore. In the morning, my mother in her bedroom put on the light switch and it just exploded."

RELATED: Four injured in massive gas explosion in north Houston

Last night, 46-year-old Janice Davenport Hamlett died from her injuries. Demontrond Hamlett, 26, has third degree burns over 74 percent of his body. Kevineshia Adams, 19, and 73-year-old Annie Gray remain in the hospital.

EMBED </>More News Videos

A home in north Houston went up in flames this morning. Andy Bass has the latest from SkyEye

"They'll never be the same. When I saw them I couldn't even recognize them. I just collapsed," said Relative Anna Smith.

The Houston Fire Department is still investigating exactly what happened, but firefighters did confirm there was a gas leak.

The family has set up a GoFundMe account.

Related Topics:
newshouse fireexplosionHouston
(Copyright ©2016 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments