Houston (KTRK) --Kim Wagner doesn't take for granted how lucky she is. Monday night, fire destroyed her home, but Wagner got out in time.
"We are blessed to be alive. We are truly blessed to be alive," Wagner said.
Investigators are still trying to figure out how the fire started inside her house on Hazen Street, near the intersection of Bissonnet and Beechnut streets.
Wagner says she was about to go to bed when smoke started filling her house.
"Ten minutes later and we would have been asleep. We would have never made it out of the house," Wagner said.
Wagner found her way through the smoke and made it outside safely. A neighbor called 911. The home is a total loss. What fire didn't destroy, smoke and water damaged.
"I have no idea what could have happened or what could have caused it," Wagner said.
With the help of one firefighter, Wagner also got her future back. He found a cashier's check that was Wagner's life saving's.
"(He) handed me this check that was soaking wet. This is what was in the drawer. I would never have been able to replace it. It's about all I've got," Wagner said, clutching the wet envelope.