Could you be a match for someone who needs a life-saving donation? Throughout the month of September, we're building awareness and trying to get more names on the Be the Match registry. It's just a cheek swab to get registered and in most cases, if you're someone's life-saving match, donating is a non-surgical, outpatient procedure similar to donating platelets or plasma. You can get on the registry by going to any Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center facilities or attend one of the events we've listed below. Once on the registry, you might get the call to save someone's life!
Kendra Scott Mix, Match & Mingle
Date: September 4, 2014 5:30-7:30
Location: Kendra Scott, Rice Village
Kendra Scott has designed a bracelet for Be The Match and will have a Mix, Match & Mingle at the Rice Village Store where a donor and recipient will meet for the first time and be presented with a bracelet designed for them. 20% of the proceeds will benefit Gulf Coast Marrow Donor Program.
4th Annual Be The Match Walk+Run locally presented by BASF
Date: Saturday, September 13, 2014
Location: Sugar Land Town Square
2711 Town Center Boulevard
Sugar Land, TX 77479
5K, 1K, Tot Trot
The Be The Match Walk+Run is a fun and moving event that allows our passionate community to come together to help provide cures for blood cancers such as leukemia, lymphoma and 70 other life-threatening diseases. The event is filled with music, food, kids' activities, local entertainment and most importantly, the company of others who are raising funds to provide cures.
17th Lone Star Circle of Life Bike Tour
Date: September 27 - October 4
Location: Saturday, Sept. 27th: Kick-off in Waco to Temple
Sunday, Sept. 28thth: Temple to Austin
Monday, Sept. 29th: Austin to LaGrange
Tuesday, Sept.30th: LaGrange to Houston
Wednesday, Oct. 1st: Houston to College Station
Thursday, Oct. 2nd: College Station to Crockett
Friday, Oct 3rd: Crockett to Tyler
Saturday Oct. 4th: Tyler to Ft. Worth for the fianle
Houston event at Memorial City Mall. Approximately 3:00.
Every other fall, donor centers across Texas organize a bike tour called the "Lone Star Circle of Life" to raise the awareness of the need for life-saving donations of blood, marrow, organs and tissues.
Non-professional riders, most of whom whose lives have been touched by donations as a recipient, family member or donor, are chosen to ride in the event. Each day of the tour, the participants ride in honor of a Texan in need of a transplant. Local areas select these honorees from their community.
The eight-day long tour typically covers 600 miles throughout Texas. Local events in communities throughout the route are planned to offer an opportunity to participate by donating blood, registering for the Be The Match Registry and signing an organ and tissue donation card. Recipients, donors and donor families also attend to share their experiences and answer questions.
Many organizations, companies and businesses also participate by offering sponsorships to underwrite the cost of the tour and help fund tissue typing expenses.
Ride for Life - Fun "Poker" Run
Date: Saturday, September 27th
Location: Start: Renegade Harley off of 45.
End at Jackie's Brickhouse in Kemah
FAQs about donations
- 1. The age for registering to donate is from 18 to 44. Those older are encouraged to volunteer or donate money. Funds raised help patients struggling with uninsured transplant costs. Doctors request younger donors over 90 percent of the time. They provide the best chance for transplant success. Marrow matches are based on ethnic heritage, so patients are most likely to match someone who shares their ancestry.
2. 70 percent of patients needing a marrow transplant do not have a matching donor in their family. A patient's likelihood of finding a matching donor on the Be The Match Registry is estimated at up to 97 percent depending on race and ethnicity.
3. Every four minutes, one person is diagnosed with blood cancer. Every 10 minutes, someone dies from a blood cancer.
4. Be The Match Registry is operated by the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP), a nonprofit organization that's dedicated to creating an opportunity for all patients to receive marrow when they need it.
5. Because of you, more patients will be able to receive a lifesaving transplant. You never know when you could be the cure, join Be The Match Registry today.