Experts share tips on what to do if your car floods

EMBED </>More Videos

What to do if your vehicle is flooded (KTRK)

After the heavy rains, it's time to ask, what do you do when you run into high water? We asked the guys who fix flooded cars to show us the mess left behind when you drive into high water.

Betsy Hartford sees the roads near her job go under water almost every time it rains.

"It floods immensely," she said.

Would Hartford know what to do if her car did stall out on a flooded road?
"No, I don't," she said.

No one would do this to a car on purpose, but we asked the experts at Universal Technical Institute to flood a sedan, and offer tips on what to do next.

EMBED More News Videos

We asked the guys who fix flooded cars to show us the mess left behind when you drive into high water

"If it got up under the seats, you might be alright to go by drying the car out. But if he gets up on the dash, you might have a problem with that car later on and you have to try it out as fast as you can," said Charlie Ryder, an instructor at UTI.

Ryder says drivers need to start the process of drying out a car right way because if the car sits, mold can start growing causing other problems.

"A car like this are the seats are saturated so you want to take the seats out standing on the end so the water will run off of them and try them out pull the carpet out of the vehicle hangover clothesline," he said.

Ryder says while you can dry out the inside of a car, there is one thing you should never ever do if your car stalls in high water: Try to restart it before draining the fluids first.

"Starting your car, if you've got water in your oil, it can destroy your engine. Same way with the transmission," he said.

And drain those fluids right away. Let's face it, most of us can't do that, so have the car towed to your mechanic. If you do not have a mechanic, do some research now and find one you trust before you need one.

Related Topics:
automotivefloodingcar tipsaction 13Houston
(Copyright ©2018 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)