A surveillance camera at the house of Cody and Ashley Brawley caught the incident. Ashley told local media that she noticed a burning smell from the living room and realized a vanilla-scented candle from Bath & Body Works was in flames.
She tried to blow it out but the flames shot up, burning her face. She was treated for first- and second-degree burns to her face.
The Brawleys said the candle had been burning for around 3 hours and 20 minutes when the incident took place.
Instructions for the product state, "Do not burn for more than three to four hours at a time."
The couple questioned if the product was defective, while Bath & Body Works said they were working on more details.
Report a typo to the ABC13 staff