Advice for making sure you get the best price for your flooded vehicle

EMBED </>More Videos

Attorneys from Sutliff & Stout offer advice on how to handle recouping losses from flooded vehicles. (KTRK)

When the floodwater rose, hundreds of thousands of vehicles were lost or damaged.

If the owners have comprehensive insurance coverage, then the damage will be covered. If not, the process to get money to cover losses can be a bit trickier.

The Houston law firm Sutliff & Stout is offering advice on how to handle this process.

In an article on their website, they detailed options if your insurance doesn't cover flood damage. They recommend two main options for federal assistance: A loan through the Small Business Administration (SBA) or a grant from FEMA.

Follow the link to their website for detailed instructions on how to apply for these types of loans and grants. They also provide links for eligibility information and applications.

If you have comprehensive coverage there are some things to watch out for when recouping money for your lost vehicle. According to Sutliff & Stout that doesn't necessarily mean you need to run out and hire an attorney or public adjuster right away.

On the law firm's Facebook page they addressed this question. Due to the high rates attorneys and adjusters charge, they recommend holding off until you know what the insurance company is going to offer for your vehicle.

Under Texas law, if you have comprehensive cover insurance companies are required to pay fair market value for your vehicle. If you feel you are not getting a fair offer on your vehicle you do have legal rights and options. Sutliff & Stout also provide information on how to know if you're getting a fair offer on your vehicle.

Report a typo to the ABC13 staff

Related Topics:
floodinghouston floodhurricane harveyinsuranceHouston
(Copyright ©2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)