We checked in with the Houston and Galveston Offices of Emergency Management, as well as Transtar and TxDOT to find out the areas of biggest concern with this weekend's extreme weather event.
ONE THING THAT'S IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER - FLOODING CAN HAPPEN ANYWHERE. THIS IS JUST A LIST OF SPOTS THAT LOCAL OFFICIALS CONSIDER BIGGEST AREAS OF CONCERN.
- Bolivar Peninsula's Hwy 87 and 124, as well as streets on the Intracoastal side of Bolivar
- Galveston at Harborside Dr.
- Far west end of Galveston Island especially Jamaica Beach and roads around drainage ditches
- The unincorporated areas of Bayou Vista and Hitchcock
- San Leon (around Dickinson Bay and 24th-25th streets)
- I-45 Gulf Fwy - especially underpasses
- I-45 Gulf Fwy near University of Houston
- I-45 at North Main
- I-45 at Tidwell
- I-45 at Parker
- US- 288 South Freeway
- Allen Parkway
- Shepherd (especially with all of the construction)
- North and South Braeswood
- The underpass of Smith Street before Spur 527/59 Southwest Fwy
- Spur 527 at US- 59 SW Fwy
TxDOT says to beware of any roads that are below grade and don't forget, turn around, don't drown.