- Drain the irrigation system, but don't forget to drain the vacuum breaker. There are two screws on it. Give them a half turn and the water will drain. If you don't a hard freeze can rupture the valve.
- Remove your hoses and wrap the exposed pipes. If the faucet pipes freeze it can set you back hundreds.
- Open the cabinet doors under your sink. It lets in warmth and keeps the pipes from freezing.
- When it comes to covering plants: Any plant that is tropical, like bougainvillea, hibiscus, plumeria-or cactus plants like aloe, should all be covered. For hardy plants like evergreens, covers are unnecessary. To find out which plants need to be covered, check this list.
- Do not use plastic or plastic tarps to cover your plants. Instead, use blankets weighed down with bricks, tie straps, or small waited sinkers that people use for fishing. If you have the option, move your potted plants indoors to either a garage or inside your home. Also remember to water before a freeze.
Cold weather tips you'll want to know as Arctic air moves in
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- With low temperatures headed our way, here are some tips to help you get through the cold:
More TOP STORIES News