The sheriff's office in Hempstead County, Arkansas, where the search for the missing 4-year-old from Houston ended in tragedy early this year, held the ceremony to dedicate its Red Lake Road bridge over Interstate 30 at Exit 18.
FULL INTERVIEW: Houston law enforcement travel to Arkansas for Maleah Davis Bridge dedication
ABC13 spoke with Hempstead County's Sheriff James A. Singleton.
Singleton said his team contacted Maleah's biological father and asked him if the ceremony would be okay. He gave them his blessing.
Sheriff Singleton said he spoke with Maleah's aunt, who then spoke to her dad. They said that it's just too hard on them to come up to that spot.
The bridge is about 200 yards north of where the 4-year-old's remains were found.
The Arkansas State Highway Commission voted to rename the overpass in July.
RELATED: MALEAH DAVIS: Grand jury indicts Derion Vence in 4-year-old's death
The 4-year-old's remains were found on the side of the highway back in May.
RELATED: MALEAH DAVIS: 'Homicidal violence' ruled in 4-year-old's death, medical examiner says
The sheriff said the new signs won't cost the county anything thanks to donations.
Many people have created touching tributes to Maleah, including a sculpture, "My Little Pony" casket for her funeral, toys and photos and a Maleah mural at the apartment where she lived.
- Sculptor creates memorial for Maleah Davis
- 'My Little Pony' casket donated for Maleah Davis' funeral
- Family shares heartbreaking message from 4-year-old at her funeral
- A look inside Maleah's private service that drew hundreds
- Church prays for suspect to confess what happened to Maleah
- Donors kick in $10K more to help find Maleah Davis
- Protesters gather again as family seeks new home for Maleah Davis' siblings
- Mom of missing Maleah Davis makes bombshell allegations against her ex-fiance
- Maleah Davis' mother: 'I want to hope that she is (still alive)'
- Protesters accuse missing girl's mom of not doing enough to protect her
- MALEAH DAVIS: Suspect's dad points finger at missing girl's mom
- Maleah Davis case leaves community with broken hearts
- Car belonging to Maleah Davis' family appears 'normal', yields no clues to her disappearance
- Missing 4-year-old girl removed last year by CPS: Officials
- Suspect's mother won't ask son for Maleah Davis' whereabouts