27-year-old Las Vegas shooting victim wakes from coma

A 27-year-old victim of the Las Vegas mass shooting is on the road to recovery in Maryland after waking from a coma.

Tina Frost's family said she was alert on Friday and took her first steps since the October 1 shooting on the Las Vegas Strip.

Frost was at the Route 91 Harvest festival in Las Vegas with her boyfriend when gunman Stephen Paddock fired into the crowd of country music fans from a room at the Mandalay Bay casino hotel.

She suffered severe head trauma after a bullet pierced the frontal lobes of her brain before ricocheting, landing in her right eye.

Frost was able to breathe on her own for six hours, a family spokesperson said, but has a long road to recovery ahead.

A total of 58 people were killed in the massacre earlier this month, and nearly 500 people were injured.

Read more about Tina's recovery on ABCNews.com.

Authorities say security guard shot 6 minutes before festival crowd targeted

EMBED More News Videos

Authorities change timeline in Las Vegas shooting



Questions remain about police response to Las Vegas massacre
EMBED More News Videos

Survivor of Vegas shooting reunites with hero



Online retailer offers to pay for Las Vegas victims' funerals
EMBED More News Videos

Online retailer, Zappos, offers to pay for Las Vegas shooting victims' funerals.



Report a typo to the ABC13 staff
Copyright © 2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.