The shocking charges against Laquita Lewis in the stabbing death of her 4-year-old daughter have shaken her family and the community where they live.
Unfortunately, this isn't the first time we've seen a mother being accused of harming her child.
Here's a look back at four cases seen on Eyewitness News that continue to haunt us:
Darlie Routier: June 6, 1996
The town of Rowlett was rocked by the murders of 5-year-old Damon Routier and his 6-year-old brother Devon in 1996. Their mother, Darlie Routier, claimed an intruder killed her sons before stabbing her in their family home.
But prosecutors argued the suburban homemaker at the center of the case murdered her sons after she and her husband began having financial troubles.
The state accused Routier of killing her sons after she feared her lavish lifestyle was about the end.
On February 4, 1997, she was sentenced to death by lethal injection. She awaits execution to this day.
Her husband divorced her in June 2011.
Andrea Yates: June 20, 2001
* Drowned her 5 children on June 20, 2001.
* She was sentenced to life in prison in March 2002.
* Andrea's conviction was overturned three years later.
* A jury found her not guilty by reason of insanity in 2006.
Jenea Mungia - 2015
* FedEx driver saw Mungia stab her four-year-old son.
* The delivery driver came to his aid, saving his life.
* Family agreed she showed signs of mental illness.
* Found not guilty by reason of insanity in October 2016.
* Her son now lives with his father.
* Stabbed her 4-year-old daughter to death.
* Family said she confessed via text message.
* Lewis allegedly claimed the 'devil got in her head'
* Sentenced in November 2016 for threatening her son with a knife
* CPS confirmed they investigated her previously
Report a typo to the ABC13 staff