With the holiday season here, many of us are trying to get our dining room tables looking festive. It can get quite pricey if we don't use our imaginations. It can also look a little boring, or worse, gaudy, if we don't know what we're doing!
I asked Megan Beauchamp at Magpies Gifts to share her tips to an affordable and fabulous holiday table, and she did it in five steps of us!
- 1. Choose a Table Cover: Go for a table cloth or runner, or even both! Beauchamp chooses a neutral crocheted table cloth and tops it with a red table runner. If it's too short for the table by an inch or two, Megan recommends folding back the ends and making it look like it's supposed to be shorter!
2. Centerpiece: Next, pick your centerpiece. If you're planning on having guests sit at the table, choose something low. For example, a centerpiece with votive-sized candles is perfect. For a buffet table, go for something larger. Beauchamp chooses three glass hurricane vases that hold candles.
3. Add Greenery: You can buy some green garland, but instead of spending the money, head out to your yard with some shears. Cut off some sprigs of greens, and add them to the table.
4. Add color: The cheapest way to add color to your table, and Beauchamp's favorite way to add color is with fresh fruit. Apples, oranges, pears, pomegranates, and lemons brighten up any table. You can also choose holiday ornaments as an alternate.
5. Set the Table: If you do placemats, make sure they don't compete with your table cloth. So, if you're choosing a printed placemat, make sure your table cloth and runner are solid. Add the plates and for an added touch, tie the napkin with a bow and ornament. The ornament can even be a sweet gift for your guests!